SHELBY -- As part of a continuing effort to improve and upgrade North Carolina's infrastructure, the N.C. Department of Transportation will begin next week replacing a culvert on Harmony Grove Road with a bridge.
On Monday, June 23, Harmony Grove Road will be closed to traffic between the Deer Park Road intersection and the Gaddy Road intersection while the culvert over Walton Crowley Branch near Marion is replaced with a bridge.
A detour will be in place during construction to help motorists navigate the closure:
On Harmony Grove Rd. traveling towards N.C. 226:
- Turn left onto Deer Park Road, then go to the intersection of Pinnacle Church Road
- Turn right onto Pinnacle Church Road and follow Pinnacle Church Road to the intersection of N.C. 226.
- Turn right on to N.C. 226, and take N.C. 226 to the intersection of Gaddy Road
- Turn right on to Gaddy Road and continue until the intersection of Harmony Grove Road
On Harmony Grove Rd. traveling towards US 70:
- Turn right on to Gaddy Road and continue to the intersection of NC 226
- Turn left onto N.C. 226 and continue to the intersection of Pinnacle Church Road
- Turn left on to Pinnacle Church Road and continue to the intersection of Deer Park Road
- Turn left on to Deer Park Road and continue to the intersection of Harmony Grove Road
The road is expected to re-open in late October.
This project is part of a $7.6 million contract to replace 11 bridges in Burke, McDowell, Mitchell and Rutherford counties. R.E. Burns and Sons is the contractor.